Gerry Bagtasa, Ph.D.
Ph.D. Science Artificial Systems: Optics and electronics/Atmospheric Physics, Chiba University, Japan, (2007)
M.S. Physics, De La Salle University Manila (2003)
B.S. Physics with specialization in computer application, De La Salle University Manila (1999)
Meteo 221 (Physical Meteorology), Meteo 234 (Numerical Weather Prediction modeling), Env Sci 1 (Environment & Society), Env Sci 201 (Fundametals of Environmental Science I), Env Sci 265 (Applications of Remote Sensing to Environmental Science), Env Sci 265.1 (Remote Sensing Techniques), Meteo 283 (Air Pollution Meteorology), 263.1 (Air Quality Sampling Techniques)
- Funded by DOST and in collaboration with the Prof. Yuan of the National Sun Yat Sen University in Taiwan, chemical characteristics of PM2.5 aerosols in southern Taiwan and northern Philippines is being investigated.
- Funded by the OML Center, WeatherUP is a crowd-source weather app for the Philippines, available on ios and android.
- I am doing air quality modeling studies using WRF-chemistry. One of the goals is to look at the amount of air pollution we have in Metro Manila.
- I currently run a weather website called Weather-Manila.com using the wrf model, with 5-day weather forecast for different cities in the Philippines.
- Lidar (atmospheric lidar) analysis of TCCON Burgos site
- PM2.5 transport from East Asia and South East Asia haze transport observation and modeling
- aerosol – cloud – climate interaction modeling using WRF-Chem
- Tropical cyclone climatology in the Philippines
- Influence of weather on ambient pollutant concentration
- Mesoscale weather modeling in the Philippines
- PM concentration around power plants in Luzon
- Personal pollutant exposure from Metro Manila traffic.
- Gerry Bagtasa (2017). Contribution of Tropical Cyclones to Rainfall in the Philippines. Journal of Climate. in press.
- Rhonalyn L. Vergara, Ernest P. Macalalad, Gerry Bagtasa, Edgar A. Vallar, Maria Cecilia D. Galvez, and Raquel V. Francisco (2017). Correlation of Aerosol Optical Properties with Surface Meteorological Parameters Over Manila. Adv. Sci. Lett. 23, 1448–1451
- BA Racoma, CP David, IA Crisologo and G Bagtasa (2016). The Change in Rainfall from Tropical Cyclones due to Orographic Effect of the Sierra Madre Mountain Range in Luzon, Philippines. Phil. Journal of Science. in press.
- Lagmay AMF, Bagtasa G, Crisologo IA, Racoma BAB and David CPC (2015) Volcanoes magnify Metro Manila’s southwest monsoon rains and lethal floods. Front. Earth Sci. 2:36. doi: 10.3389/feart.2014.00036
- Ronald Macatangay, Thiranan Sonkaew, Voltaire Velazco, Christoph Gerbig, Nilubol Intarat, Nittaya Nantajai, Gerry Bagtasa. Factors influencing surface CO2 variations in LPRU, Thailand and IESM, Philippines. Environmental Pollution, article in press, 2014. DOI:10.1016/j.envpol.2014.06.035
- Hayato Saito, Yutaro Goto, Yusaku Mabuchi, Ilham Alimuddin, Gerry Bagtasa, Naohiro Manago, Hitoshi Irie, Ippei Harada, Toshihiko Ishibashi, Kazunori Yashiro, Shumpei Kameyama, Hiroaki Kuze. Simultaneous Monitoring of Nitrogen Dioxide and Aerosol Concentrations with Dual Path Differential Optical Absorption Spectroscopy. Open Journal of Air Pollution, 3,20-32. 2014. DOI:10.4236/ojap.2014.31003.
- Rhonalyn L. Vergara, Ernest P. Macalalad, Gerry Bagtasa, Edgar A. Vallar, Maria Cecilia D. Galvez, Diurnal Characteristics of Angstrom Turbidity Parameters Over Manila, Philippines, International Organization of Scientific Research, Vol. 5 Issue 2 (2013) doi:10.9790/2402-0525964
- Gerry Bagtasa, Nobuo Takeuchi, Hiroaki Kuze, Cloud base height retrieval from portable automated lidar data by wavelet analysis, International Journal of Scientific & Engineering Research. Volume 4 Issue 2 (2013)
- Gerry Bagtasa , Effect of synoptic scale weather disturbance to Philippine transboundary ozone pollution using WRF-CHEM, International Journal on Environmental Science and Development, Vol. 3 no. 5, (2011)
- Tasuo Shiina, Toshio Honda, Nobuo Takeuchi, Gerry Bagtasa, Hiroaki Kuze, Akihiro Sone, Hirofumi Kan, Temporal and spatial variation of cloud measured with a portable automated lidar, Advances in Geosciences, Vol. 10, 19-26 (2009)
- Nobuo Takeuchi, Gerry Bagtasa, Nofel Lagrosas, Hiroaki Kuze, Suekazu Naito, Makoto Wada, Akihiro Sone, Hirofumi Kan, Tatsuo Shiina, Boundary layer phenomena observed by continuously operated, temporary high-resolution lidar, Advances in Geosciences, Vol. 10, 99-114 (2009)
- Gerry Bagtasa, Nobuo Takeuchi, Shunsuke Fukagawa, Hiroaki Kuze, and Suekazu Naito,(2006) Correction in aerosol mass concentration measurements with humidity difference between ambient and instrumental conditions.Â Atmospheric Environment
- Gerry Bagtasa, Cheng Liu, Nobuo Takeuchi, Hiroaki Kuze, Suekazu Naito, Akihiro Sone and Hirofumi Kan,(2006) Dual-Site Lidar Observations and Satellite Data Analysis for Regional Cloud Characterization.Â Optical Review
- Shunsuke Fukagawa, Hiroaki Kuze,Â Gerry Bagtasa, Suekazu Naito, Masanori Yabuki, Tamio Takamura, Nobuo Takeuchi. (2006) Characterization of seasonal and long term variation of tropospheric aerosols in Chiba, Japan.Â Atmospheric Environment
- Nofel Lagrosas, Hiroaki Kuze, Nobuo Takeuchi, Shunsuke Fukagawa,Â Gerry Bagtasa, Yotsumi Yoshii, Suekazu Naito, and Masanori Yabuki, (2005) Correlation study between suspended particulate matter and portable automated lidar data.Â Aerosol Science
- AGU Fall meeting 2016 (San Francisco, USA). Lidar observations at prioritized sites for GOSAT validation. Osamu Uchino, Isamu Morino, Tetsu Sakai, Toshiharu Izumi, Tomohiro Nagai, Takashi Shibata, Okumura Hiroshi, Kohei Arai, Ben Liley, Gerry Bagtasa
- International Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, July 2016 (Prague, Czech Republic ) Assessment of satellite precipitation products in the Philippine archipelago Gerry Bagtasa, Mark Daryl Ramos
- T&T International Aerosol Conference, April 2016 (Manila, Philippines) Chemical Characteristics and Co-variation of Atmospheric Fine Particles Sampled at South Taiwan and North Philippines Yu-Lun Tseng, Hsueh-Lung Chuang, Tsung-Chang Li, Chung-Shin Yuan, Gerry Bagtasa
- T&T International Aerosol Conference, April 2016 (Manila, Philippines) Experimental simulations of aerosol effect to landfalling tropical cyclones over the Philippine coast: Virtual seeding using WRF model Benjamin Ona, Gerry Bagtasa, Ronald C. Macatangay
- International Symposium on Grids and Clouds, March 2016 (Taipei, Taiwan) Finding the Optimum Resolution, and Microphysics and Cumulus Parameterization Scheme Combinations for Numerical Weather Prediction Models in Northern Thailand: A First Step towards Aerosol and Chemical Weather Forecasting for Northern Thailand Ronald Macatangay, Gerry Bagtasa, Thiranan Sonkaw
- AGU Fall Meeting 2015 (San Francisco, USA). Enabling Philippine Farmers to Adapt to Climate Variability Using Seasonal Climate and Weather Forecast with a Crop Simulation Model in an SMS-based Farmer Decision Support System. Jed Barry Rigonan Ebardaloza, Rhia Trogo, Delfin Jay Sabido, Edgardo Tongson, Gerry Bagtasa and Orlando Fernando Balderama.
- 4th National Climate Conference, September 2015 (Manila, Philippines) Convective cloud modeling for 150-day daily temperature and rain forecast for the Philippines Gerry Bagtasa
- 4th National Climate Conference, September 2015 (Manila, Philippines) Development of Risk Maps for Hazards brought about by Monsoons Loren Joy D. Estrebillo*, Ronald C. Macatangay, Tolentino B. Moya, Leoncio A. Amadore and Gerry Bagtasa
- 2015 IEEE International Humanitarian Technology, June 2015 (Ottawa, Canada) SMS-based Smarter Agriculture Decision Support System for Yellow Corn Farmers in Isabela Rhia Trogo, Jed Barry Ebardaloza, Delfin Jay Sabido, Gerry Bagtasa, Edgardo Tongson, Orlando Balderama
- 32nd SPP National Physics Conference, October 2014 (Manila, Philippines) Atmospheric particulate measurement and modeling at UP Diliman using an optical particle counter and a mesoscale chemical transport model Gerry Bagtasa
- 3rd National Climate Conference, September 2014 (Manila, Philippines) Near real-time Impact Assessment of a Simulated Northwestern Pacific “Super-typhoon” Passing over Metro Manila using National Census data Gerry Bagtasa
- 2nd National Remote Sensing Conference, August 2014 (Manila, Philippines) Lightning forecast and verification in Metro Manila using a weather model and TRMM lightning data Gerry Bagtasa
- The World Weather Open Science Conference 2014 (Montral, Canada) Typhoon Haiyan: A Post-Analysis of its Development, Intensification and Track Using GSM, WRF, satellite and ground observation Gerry Bagtasa and Ronald Macatangay
- 2nd National Climate Conference, September 2013 (Manila, Philippines) Climatic effects of urban air pollution of Metro Manila Gerry Bagtasa
- 1st National Remote Sensing Conference, May 2013 (Manila, Philippines) Ground-based remote sensing of atmospheric chemistry Gerry Bagtasa
- Better Air Quality 2012, December 2012 (Hong Kong, China) Effects of air pollution on the diurnal precipitation cycle of Metro Manila Gerry Bagtasa
- 30th SPP National Physics Conference, October 2012 (Philippines), Effects of air pollution on Metro Manila’s precipitation cycle, Gerry Bagtasa
- 30th Laser Sensing Symposium. September 2012 (Shodoshima, Japan), Characterization of urban NO2 transport with a Coherent Doppler Lidar and WRF-Chem model, Gerry Bagtasa, Yutaro Goto, Yasuka Mabuchi, Hayato Saito, Ippei Harada, Shumpie Kameyama, Hiroaki Kuze
- International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium. July 2012 (Munich, Germany)*, Urban air pollution monitoring using Differential Optical Absorption Spectroscopy (DOAS) and Wind Lidar, Hiroaki Kuze, Yutaro Goto, Yusaku Mabuchi, Hayato Saitoh, Ilham Alimuddin, Gerry Bagtasa, Ippei Harada
- International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium. July 2012 (Munich, Germany)*, Multi-wavelength Lidar system for the characterization of tropospheric aerosols and clouds, Yusaku Mabuchi, Naohiro Manago, Gerry Bagtasa, Hayato Saitoh, Nobuo Takeuchi, Masanori Yabuki, Kyoto University, Japan; Tatsuo Shiina, Hiroaki Kuze
- 26th International Laser Radar Conference. June 2012 (Porto Heli, Greece)*, Retrieval of aerosol and cloud optical characteristics in the Troposphere based on vertical and Plan-Position Indicator lidar signals in combination with ground-based measurements. Tatsuo Shiina, Yusaku Mabuchi, Hayato Saito, Gerry Bagtasa, Masanori Yabuki, Naohiro Manago, Nobuo Takeuchi, Hiroaki Kuze
- 2011 International Conference on Environmental and Computer Science (Singapore), Numerical simulation of regional Ozone transboundary pollution to the Philippines, Gerry Bagtasa
- 2011 IQEC/CLEO Pacific Rim (Sydney, Australia), Wavelet denoising applied to cloud base height determination from portable automated lidar data, Gerry Bagtasa, Nobuo Takeuchi, Hiroaki Kuze
- 24th International Laser Radar Conference. June 2008 (Boulder Colorado, USA), Combination of Lidar data with JMA radar data over Japan, Nobuo Takeuchi, Naohira Manago,Â Gerry Bagtasa, Hiroaki Kuze, Suekazu Naito, Akihiro Sone, Hirofumi Kan
- 48th Annual Meeting of Japan Society for Atmospheric Environment. September 2007, (Okayama, Japan), Observation of boundary layer by a continuously operating automatic Lidar and its relation with meteorological condition.Nobuo Takeuchi,Â Gerry Bagtasa, Hiroaki Kuze, Suekazu Naito
- 39th Meeting on Light-wave Sensing technology. June 2007 (Tokyo, Japan), Imaging of Long-term Lidar Observation Data and Its relation with Meteorology, Nobuo Takeuchi,Â Gerry Bagtasa, Tatsuo Shiina, Hiroaki Kuze, Suekazu Naito, Makoto Wada, Akihiro Sone, Hirofumi Kan
Other Academic Information
- Associate Professor 2, UP-IESM (Jan 2015 – present)
- Assistant Professor 5, UP-IESM (June 2008 – Dec 2014)
- Hitachi Fellowship Award (September 2011)
- Japanese Government Scholar (Monbukagakusho) 2003-2007
- Research student, Center for Environmental Remote Sensing, Chiba University (2003-2004)
- Academic Service Faculty, Physics Department, De La Salle University (2001-2003)
- Lecturer, Physics Department, De La Salle University (1999-2001)
- Intensive Japanese language course, Chiba Univ. Foreign Student Center (2003)
- Chinese Language course: Beijing Language Institute, Beijing China (1992, 1994), Overseas Chinese Youth language Center, Taipei Taiwan (1993)
- Aerosols, Aerosol Modeling, WRF, WRF-Chem, Lidar, Laser, Air Sampling, Clouds, Remote Sensing, Meteorology, air quality modeling, air pollution modeling, Physics, Tropical cyclones, precipitation, wind energy, regional and local climate.